Skip to main content

Welcome to Clanfield Memorial Hall

Clanfield Memorial Hall is in the part of the village now known as 'Old Clanfield, in southern Hampshire. It is part of the original village which was a tiny farming community, six miles to the south of the market town of Petersfield with open countryside on three sides and part inside the South Downs National Park.

The Memorial Hall is run as a charitiy - the Clanfield Parish Institute - by a maximum of six trustees, all of whom are volunteers.

Exercise classes, talks, afternoon and evening bowls, ukelele, spinning, dance and ballet, craft, baton-twirling, pre-school groups and an assortment of other activities take place as well as private celebrations and parties.

The annual village Remembrance Sunday service is held here and we are also proud that the Blood and Transplant Service regularly makes use of the facilities for blood-doning sessions.

One of several village defibrillators is to the left of the main doors, for use by anybody who needs it.

We have  the Main Hall with parquet flooring and stage available for hire, plus two smaller, carpeted, meeting rooms. All rooms have direct access to the kitchen, use of which is included for all bookings.

The links below will take you to all the information you need to submit a booking for approval.

Anybody interested in joining the trustee team would be very welcome - please contact us.

History of the Memorial Hall

The original Memorial Hall was a Nissen hut brought from Aldershot Camp in 1919 , just after World War One and it honoured the Clanfield men who fell during that war. 

Clanfield was a tiny agricultural community and the village of that time is now known as 'Old Clanfield'. The Nissan building served the community for many years, in use for village activities, lunches and the 'Jeanagers Club' an inspired name for the new youth club. 

That wooden building served the village for fifty years  but it was removed when the present brick building was constructed  and opened in 1982 after a massive fundraising effort and continued use for many activities by all sections of an expanding community. 

In the garden to the front of the hall is the War Memorial, constructed by staff and students of Horndean Technology College and unveiled in June 2014. 

The memorial bears the names of those Clanfield men lost during World War One 

Archibald James Jacobs - 24 October 1918
Earle Roy Merritt - 12 February 1917
Frank Pearce - 8 November 1918

Sadly, a further name was added at the end of World War Two

Colin Harry Mitchell -21 May 1941

These young men, who had grown up in the village and worked on local farms before signing up, would have been known to everybody.

Powered by LemonBooking
Village hall booking system